The glutes are the largest muscles in the body and perform very important functions, including keeping the body in balance and providing the right power when we walk, run or jump.
Maintaining strong and well-toned buttocks is not just an aesthetic issue, but is also important for preventing injuries and improving movement ability. The buttocks guarantee correct movement of the hips and legs when we sit, climb stairs, stand or walk.
If you spend a lot of time sitting, or lead a sedentary lifestyle, your glutes are likely weak and under-trained. To help you strengthen and tone them, below we suggest the 5 best exercises to train your buttocks at home .
1. Operation of the hydrant
- Get on all fours on a mat, making sure to align your knees with your hips and your hands with your shoulders.
- Your spine should be in a neutral position and your shoulder blades down.
- Inhale and exhale, keeping your knees bent, lift your right leg until your thigh is parallel to your spine.
- Inhale and bring your leg to the starting position, but without resting your knee on the mat.
- Perform 10 repetitions for each leg
2. Step with one leg
- Get a bench and stand next to it.
- Place your hands on your hips, then place one leg on the bench at a 90-degree angle and keep the other leg straight on the floor.
- Push your body weight onto your leg to lift your body straight up.
- Pause for a second, then return to the starting position.
- Perform 12-15 repetitions on each side.
3. Side squat
- Start from a standing position, with your legs apart and your hands at chest height.
- From this position, without moving your feet, tilt your body as much as possible towards one side.
- Return to the starting position, then lean your body to the other side. This movement corresponds to one repetition.
- Perform 12-15 repetitions.
4. Glute bridge
- Lie face up on the floor, with your knees bent and your feet on the floor.
- Lift your hips off the floor to form a straight line with your body, from your shoulders to your knees.
- Pause in this position and then slowly return to the starting position.
- Perform 2 sets of 12 seconds.
5. Bulgarian squat
- To perform this exercise you need a bench or similar support on which to rest your back leg.
- Remember that if you feel any discomfort or pain in your lower back or legs, you must stop immediately.
- Start from a standing position, grab a weight and separate your feet with the toes pointing slightly outward.
- Bend your knees and lower your pelvis, keeping your back straight.
- Perform 10 repetitions for each leg, in 3 total sets.
How to strengthen your buttocks
To develop and strengthen your glutes, in addition to physical activity, you will also need to change some habits.
- Be consistent . The best way to strengthen your glutes is to do the exercises described above consistently, at least two or three times a week on non-consecutive days.
- Rest the right one . Muscles need 48 hours of rest after strength training to recover. Overtraining can compromise results and cause injuries.
- Change your diet . Doing lots of exercises is of little use if we don’t have a healthy and balanced diet. The ideal for those who want to lose fat is to consume 40% proteins, 30% fats and 30% carbohydrates.