If you are one of those who never manage to drink 8 glasses of water a day and are looking for another option to complete your fluid intake, this type of diet is for you. But if you believe that a tea diet can help you lose weight, then we invite you to analyze the tea diet and find out here.
What is the tea diet?
It is one of the famous diets considered as a fast diet. Being considered “miraculous” for weight loss.
The inclusion of this type of diet, is due to its antioxidant qualities. But is it possible that a transparent, black, green or red liquid can allow us to lose weight by itself? The answer is a resounding no.
It includes, in addition to the main ingredient, healthy foods in quantity and quality that will contribute to your weight loss and improve your habits.
We tend to believe in the magical properties of a particular food and focus on this food or liquid. In part, it results in benefits by taking our attention away from the rest of the diet and avoiding continuous snacking. But, on the other hand, it can lead us to neglect our diet. Therefore, pay attention to all the points, as well as their advantages and disadvantages.
So how can this diet be done?
- There are different alternatives, which include one or more varieties of the same: red, green, white tea.
- This diet lasts 1 to 2 weeks, because it does not include dairy products or all meats.
- It is a balanced hypocaloric diet of approximately 1500kcal.
- Fruits and vegetables: 5 servings daily
- Assorted meats and eggs: 1 serving daily, preferably including fish and eggs.
- Whole grains and legumes: It is best to include these infusions at breakfast and snack and 3 times a week at lunch or dinner.
- Skimmed dairy products: Most versions of diets do not include them.
- Oils, nuts and seeds: 1 serving of each.
- Water: Drink more than 8 glasses a day.
A rule that is important to follow:
- Include infusions in 3 of the 4 daily meals you have: at breakfast, after lunch and after dinner, 30 minutes to 1 hour later.
- Do not add sugar or chemical sweeteners to the infusion.
- The way you prepare it is essential to enjoy its benefits. See how to prepare it in the recipes section.
The different teas, how are they made?
All varieties come from the same plant, called Camellia Sinensis, but they differ in the way the leaves are treated, which influences their composition.
- Black tea: The leaves are picked, dried and fermented in the sun. Therefore, it presents an important oxidation.
- White tea: It comes from young leaves, not oxidized. Because they have been protected from the sun so that chlorophyll does not form, preserving its properties.
- Green tea: The leaves are picked, dried (by steam or heat) and a heat treatment is applied to stop the oxidation of the leaf, it does not alter its chemical composition and properties.
Red tea: It is derived from black tea, the color is due to its aging for up to 50 years.
- Caffeine: The presence of caffeine, higher in black tea than in the other varieties, stimulates the nervous system, therefore, it is appropriate if you count with tiredness, headache, drowsiness.
- Tannins: They are responsible for its bitter taste and astringent effect, useful if you suffer from diarrhea. Their presence is high in black tea, especially.
- Polyphenols: Antioxidant substances that protect us from free radical damage, responsible for accelerating aging and degenerative diseases and cancer. The presence of this substance will be lower in black tea, because they are lost in its elaboration.
- Theobromine: A component with diuretic, vasodilator (the best for promoting blood circulation) and heart stimulant actions.
- Minerals: Sodium, potassium, manganese and fluorine.
Varieties of this type of diet
Similar in the characteristic of including tea throughout the day, but different in their antioxidant power.
Red tea diet
It has depurative, detoxifying and antidepressant virtues. Stimulates secretions in the stomach, which facilitates the digestion of fats, hence its fat burning effect.
Green tea diet
Green tea is the highest in antioxidants of the group of infusions due to its production process. It has a diuretic effect, inconclusive studies attribute to it a metabolism accelerator effect that would contribute to weight loss, but we remember, inconclusive.
White tea diet
It is the lowest in caffeine of this group, so it does not produce insomnia unlike the rest of the teas. It has diuretic and antioxidant properties similar to those of green tea. Its elaboration process requires a lot of care, so it is the most expensive of the teas.
How much do you lose weight with this diet?
It promises that you will lose between 6 to 10 pounds up to 15 pounds of your weight in 1 week.
- They contain antioxidants, the well-known polyphenols, in all their varieties, therefore a daily consumption prevents diseases such as cancer, Alzheimer’s and degenerative diseases.
- Indirectly contributes to weight loss by increasing your fluid intake and improving intestinal transit.
- It favors the control of your blood pressure due to the presence of theobromine in its composition and provides satiety by increasing your liquid intake during the day.
- It prevents cardiovascular diseases because it is a hypocaloric and low-fat diet.
- It is favorable to lose kilos if you keep it over time, unlike other fast and famous diets.
- It is an economical diet according to the variety of tea used and easy to carry out.
- It makes up a normal, balanced and healthy diet with the benefits of losing weight and improving your health.
- It is a boring and tiring diet if maintained in the long term.
- Deficient in calories according to the physical activity you have and must be designed by
- professionals to obtain the necessary proteins in quantity and quality.
- Possibility of maintaining and even gaining weight if you do not modify habits beyond the inclusion of tea.
- Overexcitement, constipation and insomnia as a consequence of the high daily consumption of caffeine and tannins.
- Possible excessive consumption of fluoride, toxic to the body.
- Interferes in the absorption of calcium and iron ingested with food and/or in excess during the day due to its tannin content.
- Rebound effect of weight gain if you abandon this type of food because it is a hypocaloric diet.
|BREAKFAST||Drink 1 cup of tea *
Toasted wholemeal bread with avocado and tomato
|LUNCH||Bean and vegetable stew
|AFTERNOON SNACK||Peach, pineapple and strawberry smoothie with mixed seeds|
|DINNER||Grilled fish with aubergine puree and fennel salad
Rice crackers with sesame paste
|LUNCH||Vegetable panaché (zucchini, pumpkin, carrot) with mixed nuts
|AFTERNOON SNACK||Whole wheat puffed corn with apple and pear|
|DINNER||Whole wheat sandwich with tomato, red and white cabbage, carrot and tuna
Whole wheat pita with vegetables and chickpea balls
|LUNCH||Cabbage handkerchiefs stuffed with brown rice
|AFTERNOON SNACK||Baked apple with oatmeal and cinnamon|
|DINNER||Fish skewers, red and red pepper, onion with lemon juice
Orange sponge cake
|LUNCH|| Nest vegetables (chard, pumpkin with an egg in the center)
|AFTERNOON SNACK||Flax and sesame cookies
|DINNER||Fish with grilled vegetables
Squeezed orange and tangerine juice with granola
|LUNCH||Green, orange and yellow vegetable soup
|DINNER||Fish meatballs with onion in homemade broth
Toasted whole wheat bread with tofu and walnut
|LUNCH||Brusella cabbages scrambled with egg
|AFTERNOON SNACK||Citrus fruit smoothie|
|DINNER||Zucchini noodles with red sauce
Tempeh with avocado and lemon
|LUNCH||Wholemeal zucchini tart
|AFTERNOON SNACK||Soy milk
|DINNER||Leaf salad with pineapple, alfalfa sprouts and seed mix
* You can include infusions of all varieties: green, white, red.
Try these 3 recipes
1. Tea infusion
Heat water without boiling, temperature between 70/80º.
Place a dessert spoonful of the chosen tea leaves or tea bag in a large cup.
Let it rest for no more than 3 to 5 minutes to avoid bitterness.
Avoid adding sugar or sweeteners, and/or milk.
You can add cinnamon or ginger to the ginger infusion.
2. Red smoothie
Red tea: 1 cup prepared
Watermelon: 1 triangle
Peach: 1 unit
Papaya: ½ unit
Plum: 1 piece
Wash, peel and chop the ingredients, add them to the blender.
Add the cup of warm red tea.
Since the tea should be drunk within a few minutes, if desired, add crushed ice to cool.
Agar-agar or unflavored gelatin: 1 sachet.
Green tea: ½ liter prepared
Water: ½ liter cold water
Kiwi or green apple: 1 unit
Prepare the gelatin by first diluting it in the hot tea, let it cool for a few seconds in the refrigerator, add the finely chopped fruits.
Chill until the gelatin hardens.