With just one exercise, you can work three muscles at once: Abs, arms and glutes. It is very popular among Crossfit participants because it works virtually the entire body. At the same time, it is very strenuous because it activates more than one muscle: Abs, glutes and arms.
The best thing about the inchworm exercise is that it helps you tone, define and strengthen your muscles without any equipment or accessories. Also, you can do it anytime and anywhere.
Inchworm exercise benefits
In addition to stretching and toning the muscles mentioned above, this exercise has other benefits:
- It warms the whole body, so if you are used to more strenuous exercises, this can serve as a warm-up.
- In addition to the glutes and abdominal it strengthens the shoulders, biceps, forearms, upper and lower back, and chest.
- Improves balance.
- Helps stabilize the spine.
How to perform the inch worm exercise correctly
- Stand with feet open at shoulder or hip level.
- Bring your torso forward so that your hands are on the floor, just in front of your feet.
- Glide your hands forward as if walking, supporting the weight of your body. Your torso should be stable and your glutes should be contracted.
- Hold this position as long as possible.
- Return to the starting position, moving your hands toward your feet and then lifting your torso.
- Depending on your condition, you can start with 2 or 3 sets of 10 to 15 repetitions and progress.
How to avoid injury while doing this exercise
To avoid injury while performing this exercise, follow these recommendations
- Keep your legs and back straight throughout the exercise. Never lower your hips.
- The movements must be controlled, so they must be slow. A fast exercise has nothing to do with results.
- The position must be held for a long time, so it is important to be able to control the exercise.
- You can do this exercise with others working on the same muscles.
Of course, this exercise also requires a lot of patience and willpower, but it is very easy to do because it does not require any equipment and is very simple.