During our youth we take for granted that we have good balance. However, as we age our balance decreases, because our hips and legs become weaker and therefore it becomes more difficult to walk. Poor posture as well as the inability to lift our feet off the ground can lead us to stumble.
Did you know that when we get up from a chair, climb stairs and walk outdoors on uneven ground our brain, nervous system, muscles and bones work together and help us not to fall?
Balance exercises for the elderly can reduce the risk of falls and improve quality of life. By training your body balance, you can improve your overall upper and lower body strength.
Best Balance Exercises for Seniors
These exercises can challenge your balance system with activities that require the use of your brain, nervous system, muscles and bones.
Before You Begin: While balance exercises are fun, they can also be challenging. When performing these exercises always use one hand to help you keep your balance, this will allow for better focus as you become accustomed to the exercises.
Important: These exercises are designed for seniors with a normal lack of balance due to inactivity. If you suspect you have a more serious balance problem, related to vertigo, ear infections, chronic dizziness, or are taking other medications, consult your physician.
Benefits: This exercise trains your brain to be more aware of where your center of gravity is. With this exercise you will strengthen your ankles and hips for better stability.
- Stand next to a chair with your feet together and your arms at your sides.
- Lift one leg and keep your balance with the other leg.
- Hold this position for 10 seconds and repeat with the other leg.
- Breathing should be normal and steady. Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth.
- If you want a little extra challenge, look straight ahead.
SHARE this exercises with all friends. They will thank you later!
- 6 Best exercises for slim and tone inner thighs to do at home
- 5 Most effective exercises to reduce banana rolls fat
- 34 amazing things you didn’t know your body can do
- Slow cooker stuffed shells with ground beef