Are you looking to stop back pain? Here are 6 exercises for your back that will help you strengthen it and improve your body posture.
Back exercises should also be present in our training routine. These exercises can help us relieve pain.
It must be taken in mind that a very high percentage of people suffer from back pain or discomfort throughout their lives, mainly due to poor posture that is prolonged over time. If that is your case, you will be interested to know that there are certain exercises based on soft movements that can help you.
Remember that having stronger muscles also helps us to have a good body posture. You should keep in mind that the back is a fairly large and complex muscle group. Therefore, you do not need to go to the gym to get in shape. Following is a selection of six exercises for the back which will allow you to work it completely, from the lower back area to the upper back.
6 exercises for lower back pain at home
You will see that these exercises are very simple! The best times to do them are in the morning, as soon as you get up, and at night, before going to bed.
This back exercise is a basic lumbar extension that also allows us to work on the core.
- Lie face down with your knees and palms on the floor.
- Contract your abdomen to stabilize your body and raise your arm and opposite leg upwards, as you can see in the image.
- Hold the posture for some seconds, return to the initial posture, and repeat with the other side.
2. Reverse plank
Even though it may seem complicated, this exercise is very simple and consists of making a plank or an abdominal plate but in reverse.
- Lie on your back with your palms supported and perpendicular to your shoulders.
- Contract your abdomen to raise your body, lifting your hips and aligning your whole body.
- The idea is to keep the body diagonal, just like with the glut bridge.
- Hold the posture for at least 30 seconds and return to the initial position.
3. Knees to chest
This exercise allows us to stretch the back and loosen the muscles of your spine.
- Lie down on your back with your knees bent and your feet on the ground.
- Bring your knees toward your chest with the help of your hands, as if you were holding them.
- Hold this position for about 20 seconds. You can also make rocking movements back and forth.
Push-ups are an ideal exercise to widen the back, while strengthening the upper back and shoulders.
- Get into a bending position, lie face down with your palms resting on the floor at shoulder height.
- Also lean on the points of your feet and extend your arms to raise your body upward,
- keeping always your back straight.
- Join the shoulder blades, lowering slightly the chest and bringing the shoulders back.
- Raise the spine to the ceiling, as high as you can.
- Hold in that position some few seconds and repeat the exercise.
- If you find it difficult, you can also do the exercise with your elbows supported.
5. Renegade row
This exercise is usually done with kettle bells or dumbbells, but we can start by using our own body weight until we master the technique well.
- Lie on your stomach with the tips of your feet on the floor and your arms extended over a pair of kettle bells.
- Grab both weights with your hands and, keeping your back straight, contract your abdomen and push one kettle bell to the floor while you lift the other one up by bending your arm.
- Hold the kettle bell up for a few seconds, with your wrists straight and your elbow back.
- Carefully return to the starting position and switch arms with each repetition.
6. Cat exercise
This back exercise will help you have a more flexible spine and stretch your back muscles.
- Get down on your knees, rest your palms and stretch your feet.
- Keep this posture by keeping your back straight for a couple of seconds, and later do like an arch with the spine. To achieve it, you should push your lumbar and abdomen toward the ground at the same time that you raise your shoulders and head.
- Stay in that position for a few seconds and go to the opposite one, that is, raise your abdomen and lumbar spine, as if you wanted to reach the ceiling.
- 8 Effective exercises to get rid of flabby arms fat in 2 weeks
- Drink raisin water daily on empty stomach to get these benefits
- Top 7 workouts for women over 40 should do every week
- 30-Minute No-Equipment Cardio Workout to Burn Calories