People often think that yoga or Pilates are only for improving flexibility, but did you know that they help strengthen our core, boosting our metabolism and reducing belly fat?
Other research has shown that yoga can also improve eating patterns, sleep habits and mood, very important factors that can affect how much weight you can lose when you set your mind to it.
Practicing yoga is not a magic bullet, we already know that there is no shortcut when it comes to losing weight. Belly fat is the easiest to gain and the hardest to lose. The secret is hard work and dedication.
Here are 5 yoga exercises that will help you reduce belly fat. Focus on your breathing, take your time and relax.
1- Upward Dog Pose
This pose not only strengthens the abdominal muscles to help reduce belly fat, but also helps strengthen the upper body.
- Your chin and toes should touch the floor.
- Inhale slowly and lift your chest up as you lean back.
- Depending on your strength, hold this pose for 15-30 seconds.
- Exhale slowly and bring your body back to the original position.
- Repeat the exercise 5 times resting 15 seconds between each one.
2- Boat Pose
This yoga pose is very beneficial for targeting waist fat. It is very good for the abdomen and can help strengthen the muscles of the legs and back.
- Lie on your back with your legs together and extended.
- Inhale and begin to lift your legs up making sure to keep your posture straight (no knee bend).
- Stretch your feet and try to raise your legs as high as you can.
- While in this position, keep your arms straight creating a 45 degree angle with your body.
- Breathe normally while holding this position for 15 seconds.
- Repeat about 5 times with 15 seconds rest between exercises.
3- Standing Pincer Pose
This posture completely compresses the abdomen promoting fat burning and toning of the abdomen.
- Stand with feet together and back straight.
- Inhaling deeply, raise your arms upward.
- As you exhale, bend forward so that your body is parallel to the floor.
- Inhale, then exhale and bend forward completely. Try to touch the floor, palms facing down without bending your knees. Beginners can try touching their toes or ankles.
- Holding your breath, tighten your abdomen and hold the position for about 60-90 seconds.
- Exhale as you lift your body to return to the starting position.
- Repeat the exercise 10 times, with an interval of 10 seconds between each repetition.
4- Bow Pose
This posture strengthens the central abdominal area, while the oscillating movement helps to massage and activate the digestive system.
- Start by lying on your belly with your legs straight and your arms placed next to your body.
- Then bend your knees until you can grab your ankles with your arms.
- As you inhale, lift your head and lean back. Lift your legs as high as possible.
- Hold this position for 15 to 30 seconds. Breathe normally while holding the pose.
- Return to the starting position as you exhale.
- Repeat the exercise 5 times leaving 15 seconds of rest between each repetition.
5- Plank Pose
In addition to toning and strengthening your shoulders, arms, thighs and buttocks, this pose will also help you burn belly fat.
- Lie on your stomach with your legs slightly apart and straight and your hands under your shoulders.
- Support your body weight on your hands and toes as you raise your body.
- Tighten your abdominal muscles so that your body forms a straight line.
- Hold the position for 15-30 seconds.
- Exhale as you rest your body on your knees before returning to the starting position.
- Repeat this pose five 5 times resting at least 15 seconds between each pose.