Artichoke is one of the most effective superfood that helps to detoxify your body and is ideal for weight loss diets.
Today we are going to talk about a well-known food, especially for its possibilities in the world of cooking, but it is also important to highlight its nutritional value, which elevates it to the category of superfood. We are talking about the artichoke.
The artichoke is one of the main characteristics that helps to detoxify our body and its properties help to improve our health. In addition, it provides few calories, so it is ideal for incorporating it into weight loss diets.
However, the virtues of the artichoke as a superfood go much further, as it is even attributed medicinal properties such as the prevention of arteriosclerosis or the ability to control cholesterol levels.
Although artichokes are a superfood for health, it is precisely because of their nutritional value, which allows them to provide important properties to the body. In this sense, for every 100 grams of food we obtain the following nutritional values:
- Calories | 44
- Protein | 2.3 grams
- Fiber | 2 grams
- Phosphorus | 130 milligrams
- Potassium | 439 milligrams
- Sodium | 47 milligrams
- Calcium | 45 grams
In addition, artichokes also contain essential vitamins for health in their composition. Among them we find vitamin A, vitamin B1, vitamin C, vitamin B3, vitamin B5 and vitamin B6. They are a good option to keep us in top shape.
Benefits as superfood
Here are some benefits of artichoke, which is a vegetable that has been present in many ways, both in cooking and as a natural remedy:
– Artichoke is a food that helps control cholesterol and triglyceride levels in blood thanks to the presence of phytosterols. Also, it is rich in flavonoids, which participate in the body as a defense against heart disease and produce an antioxidant action.
– This food is one of those that is recommended to improve liver function, the artichoke has shown that it is capable of restoring damaged liver tissue. To all these benefits is added the ability to stimulate the production of bile by the gallbladder.
– Thus, in addition to being a superfood to ‘cleanse’ the body, the artichoke is also a food of vegetable origin that brings important health benefits to people.
– Among other things, regular consumption of this food helps to delay aging, protects the digestive tract, improves water absorption and reduces blood glucose levels. For all these reasons, it is a vegetable indicated for people with diabetes.
– It is a natural stimulant of gastrointestinal motility and stimulates appetite. They are especially indicated in processes of lack of appetite or people with eating disorders. Artichokes promote digestion of consumed food.
– Also, inulin is a type of polysaccharide, diuretic and laxative. It is effective in stimulating intestinal motility. It allows an organic cleansing at the renal level, especially recommended in problems of frequent urinary tract infections.
– Finally, we must not forget that the artichoke is an ideal food to incorporate in diet for weight loss. It has a high fiber content, which makes it a satiating product for the body. In addition, artichoke contains very few calories.
If you have artichokes at home and want to know how to cook them, here are some tips about cooking correctly.
How to cook artichokes
Cooking a good artichoke dish is indispensable in these times. A contribution of fiber and the fact of preparing a healthy snack full of good sensations. You can consume it in any occasion, as a base for a salad, a cream or an impressive stew.
- A small bunch of parsley or a splash of lemon juice
- We prepare a bowl with water and parsley, instead, we can put a squeeze of lemon so that the artichoke does not oxidize. This ingredient needs to look its best with parsley or lemon so that it does not oxidize.
- We get down to work peeling the artichokes, we remove the toughest leaves so that we have the tender center that will be what invites us to enjoy a complete and delicious dish.
- We can cook them whole or in small pieces. In this way we will be able to cook them more or less quickly.
- The artichokes we put them in the bowl so that they maintain their green color and the contribution of fiber that the body needs.
- We prepare the saucepan where we are going to cook the artichokes. Add water and salt, they will not need anything else to be amazing.
- We can add a splash of olive oil, it will be the ingredient that will give them the necessary grace to shine.
- As soon as the water starts to boil, add the artichokes and cook them for a few minutes until they are cooked.
- We cook them for about 20 minutes, the time it will take to obtain artichokes full of good sensations.
- Another highly recommended option, in addition to boiling them, is to bake them in the oven or in a casserole. In this case it will not be necessary to peel them.
- We give a few blows to the artichoke in the upper part so that the leaves open a little. Add salt and a good splash of oil.
- In the case of using a casserole, we place the artichokes. Cover the base of the casserole with water, two fingers will be enough. Cover and put on the fire.
- When the water has evaporated, check the artichokes, they will be cooked and they will be as if they were roasted.
- If we want to bake them in the oven, the preparation will be very similar. Add salt and oil as we have done before and place them in a baking dish.
- We put a little water and place them in the oven at 180º for about 20 minutes, until the artichoke is cooked. It looks good and is very healthy.
- After this process, we can add any complement or serve them as a garnish for a meat, fish or vegetable dish.