Stretching exercises relax the body and improve health, improve circulation, posture becomes more even, the skin begins to firm up and you have more freedom of movement and a feeling of lightness.
Fortunately, to improve flexibility and mobility is not hard. It just takes a little time. Try adding the flexibility stretches below to your routine, which will help relieve muscle tension and increase mobility, so you can move in life with more freedom.
1- Stretch the back of thigh
Start position: put the right leg forward, straighten the knee, lift the toe, tilt the body, stretch the chin, put the hands on the floor.
Roll over: do each movement on an exhalation. Pull your chin out more and lean toward your right leg, pushing your body forward. Shift your body weight to your right foot, shifting it from heel to toe. Bend your left leg forward, take your foot off the floor and put it on half-toes. Then gently return to the starting position. Do 8 wiggles, hold for 8 seconds, and then reverse the starting position to the other side and repeat.
- You must not bend the knee, otherwise the line will break and the muscles will not stretch (if you can’t, put any elevation on the floor and put your hands on it).
- Do not hump the lumbar spine: you have to flex well and feel the stretching of the posterior surface of the thigh.
- Don’t lower your chin – maximum extension helps the lumbar spine to flex correctly.
2- Stretching inner muscles
Initial position: sit on the floor, spread your legs, straighten knees.
Leans: turn your shoulders and body toward the right leg, straighten your toes and reach for the toe with both hands. Bend your lower back as much as possible and feel how you are stretching the hamstring muscle. Do 8 side bends, hold for 8 seconds, then repeat the figure eight on the left side.
Forward bends: legs open in a transverse fold. As you inhale, round your spine. As you exhale, stretch your arms out in front of you and arch your lumbar spine as much as possible. Feel the tension of the muscles both on the right and on the left. Make 8 wiggles forward, hold for 8 counts at the bottom, moving your fingers farther and farther apart. With each movement, the body gradually goes lower. Reach your belly toward the floor and contract your feet toward you, increasing the tension. If the level of training does not allow, it is better, on the contrary, to loosen the tension (not to reduce the feet on themselves).
- Do not bend your legs at the knees, or the stretching will not work.
- Do not hump your lumbar spine – you need maximum flexion.
- You should not stretch your head to your thigh, but your abdomen with your chest open. This allows a good feeling of the muscles of the legs and lower back.
3- Stretching the pectoral, shoulder, and lumbar muscles
This stage will allow you to experience pleasure, as the posture opens up.
Start position: kneel, legs straightened at 90 degrees.
Inclinations: bring the arms forward, body pointing to the floor, dropping the thoracic and shoulder sections. Don’t open your elbows. If you feel discomfort, you should correct the pose. The chin rests on the floor, there is tension from the fingertips to the buttocks. Hold the position for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Do not change the right angle, otherwise the pelvis will move forward and the stretch will not work.
4- Lower back stretch
This is one of the simplest and most effective exercises. It can be done with any level of training.
Initial position: lie on your stomach.
Stretching: bend your knees, raise your body, put your hands at the level of the pelvis and pull your head to your feet. Make shoulders 8 wiggling movements back and forth, then stay in the position for 8 counts. You should have a good feeling of the lumbar spine. You may feel some pain.
- The gaze should be directed backward, with the head pointing toward the legs with the chin extended.
- Do not take your arms away from the pelvis – this reduces the amplitude and interferes with stretching.
5- Strengthening the muscle back corset
Initial position: lie on stomach.
Exercise: straighten arms and legs and simultaneously raise them up to the same level, without joining each other. At first it will be difficult, so it is important not the quantity but the quality. Lift the body up 20 times, then hold the position for 10 counts. Ideally, make 2-3 approaches.
- Raise your arms and legs in one line only at the same time.
- You can not bend your knees – this breaks the correct line and interferes with stretching.
- When the position is delayed for 10 counts, the muscles will burn – this is normal, it means you are doing everything right.
- You can’t literally “flop” to the starting position – you need to lower yourself slowly and not completely (leave a distance of 1 cm from the floor).
Keep reading: 6 Exercises to Ease Sciatic Nerve Pain in a Few Minutes