In order to have a harmonious and strong body, it is very important to work all the parts of our body, because the work of all the muscles together will have many benefits for us.
In this article we will show you 8 leg exercises to do at home to train the lower body and tone the muscles of the legs: quadriceps, insquiotibiales, abductors, glutes and calves.
The leg muscles are responsible for the movement and stabilization of the lower extremities. Therefore, strengthening them will greatly benefit how the legs move.
The legs are the foundation of the body. They include various joints, numerous bones, and interconnected muscles. Our body becomes more harmonious and well-proportioned with well-defined and strong legs.
Next, we are going to show you the best exercises that you can do at home to tone up your legs and lose the fat from your thighs.
- Start with legs shoulder-width apart and feet slightly outstretched.
Place barbell on shoulders or hold dumbbells next to body.
- Slowly bend your knees, extend your buttocks and keep your back straight.
- Don’t bend your knees past the tips of your toes.
Place weight on heels and push up to return to starting position.
- Perform 4 sets of 8 to 10 repetitions.
- Rest 1 minute between sets. Depending on how sore you feel, lighten the weight for the last 3 sets.
2- Lunge in motion
- Start with hip distance apart. Hold a dumbbell in each hand according to your lifting ability.
- Bend at knees to lower hips toward floor. Lower until rear knee almost touches floor.
- Maintain an upright posture and avoid moving your front knee past your toes to avoid injury.
- Place your weight on the heel of your front foot and rise from the lunge. Switch sides and repeat.
- Perform 3 sets of 10 to 14 repetitions on each side.
- You can start with 10 lunges and as you do more sets, add one more to challenge yourself. Rest 1 minute between sets.
3- plank leg raises
- Lie face down in plank position.
- Raise one leg toward the sky and, as you lower it, straighten it until it reaches your chest without touching the floor.
- Return the leg to its original position and repeat with the other leg.
- If the plank position on outstretched arms is too challenging, try it on your elbows.
- T ry to complete 3 sets of 8 to 12 repetitions at a time. Rest for 1 minute.
4- One Leg Deadlift with dumbbells
- Hold dumbbell in left hand and keep arm in line with body.
- Bend your upper body and at the same time lower the weight near your leg to the floor and raise your left leg backward, at a 90° angle.
- Switch hands and legs and perform 15 repetitions of each for 2 sets.
5- Calf raise
- Keep your toes flat on a step or the floor and your heels extended over the edge.
- As you exhale, raise your heels as high as you can and feel your calves activate.
- Hold for a few seconds, then lower your heels to return to the starting position.
- You can do this exercise with your body weight or add dumbbells or a barbell, depending on your preference.
- Perform 4 sets of 15-20 repetitions, resting 1 minute between each set.
This is an excellent exercise to do at home, where we focus on toning and lifting the buttocks.
- To perform it, it is best to lie on an exercise mat, face up, with your arms at your sides and your knees bent upward.
- Inhale and lift your hips while keeping your back straight and pulling your buttocks together.
- Hold this firm position for 3 seconds and lower.
- Perform 4 sets of 8 to 12 repetitions. Rest 1 minute between sets.
7- Wall sit
This is an excellent leg exercise that will also help you tone your waist, thighs and buttocks.
- To perform it, all you need is the support of a wall and that’s it.
- It is very similar to a squat, except that when you sit against the wall, you must support your back against the wall and then sit down as if you were sitting in a chair,
- Stay in a static position for at least 30″, depending on your own resistance, then you can gradually increase the time.