If you were not active in your youth, you may find yourself “thinking a lot” after the age of 40. During this time, muscles begin to shrink and fat deposits seem to increase.
So whether or not you’ve been active in the past, don’t continue to avoid physical activity. This can lead to a number of health problems, so exercise regularly and protect yourself from future adverse events.
Also, you will feel much better once you get used to this way of life.
We’re not here to judge you, so don’t worry. What we’re trying to do is bring something new to your training. We are going to show you exercises that may be a little different from what you are used to, but that does not mean they are any less effective. As the scene changes, so to speak, you may need to adapt the exercises to get a good result.
Stress is particularly high during this period of life (from the age of 40), mainly due to caring for children and family, parents, health, work and family finances. For all these reasons, women in their 40s experience subtle changes in their bodies that require attention.
Getting into top shape is a long and tedious process, we all know that, but there are some lucky ladies who can devote some time to a workout routine every day, and there are also those who can do it several days a week, and there are also those who exercise from time to time. But no matter what group you belong to, sometimes all you can think about is how tired you are of the same routine, no matter how effective it is.
So here’s a set of 8 exercises that will not only strengthen your core, but also make your regular workout a little different and more fun. No special equipment is needed, which means you can do them at home. Isn’t it amazing?
Sometimes you may find it hard to believe how something so simple can be so effective, but that doesn’t matter, it’s the results that matter.
All you have to do is follow these exercises for women over 40! Get them right by following the instructions in the pictures below.
1. Command Plank
Repeat: 60 seconds
- Starting from a high plank, tighten your abs and place your feet hip width apart.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds. Make sure your back is straight!
- Tightening your abs, lower your left arm and then your right arm until you are in a low plank.
- Keep your back straight as you push yourself up to a high plank. Repeat after 15 seconds and finish with a high plank.
2. Downward Facing Dog
Repeat: Hold for 10 seconds
- From your high plank, push your buttocks back and press your weight into your heels.
- Place your arms shoulder-width apart and keep your legs straight.Stay this position for 10 seconds, pushing your hips back until you feel a deep stretch in your hamstrings and the back of your arms.
- Return to your high plank position and repeat 5times.
3. Flutter Kicks
Repeat: 3 reps of 20 seconds
- Begin by lying on your back on a mat. Hold your arms at your sides, palms facing down.
- Tighten your core and raise both legs until they are straight and hovering slightly above the floor.
- Continue to tighten your abs and keep your legs straight as you alternately kick your legs up and down with quick movements.
- Make sure your lower back is in contact with the mat at all times.
4. Oblique Crunches
Repeat: 10 repetitions per side
- Lie down with your left hand behind your head and your right arm extended at a 90° angle to your body, with the right palm facing down.
- Tighten your abdominal muscles, lift your right knee and bend it over your right side until your left elbow touches your right knee.
- Reverse the movement until you are back in the starting position.
- Have you done your repetitions? Switch sides and repeat everything again.
5. Russian Twist
Repeat: 20 repetitions, using a 5 kg weight (or a stack of books).
- Lie on your back with your knees raised and bent at 45° and your feet hovering just above the floor.
- With both hands, hold the weight above your chest. Use your abdominal muscles to lift your torso to a 45° angle with the floor.
- Slowly rotate your torso to the right side, keeping your arms extended and straight.
- Pause and then rotate to the left side. This is 1 repetition.
6. Partial Sit-Up
Repeat: 40 repetitions
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet tucked under a weight and extend your arms forward.
- Use your abs to lift yourself up and touch your knees with a short, quick movement – lift only your head, shoulders and upper back off the floor.
- Return and repeat. Can you feel the fire in your upper abdomen?
7. Fitness Ball Press-Up and Knee Tuck
Repeat: 20 repetitions
- Start in a high plank with your feet on top of a fitness ball.
- Tighten your abs for stability and do a push-up – pause once you’re back up.
- Tighten your abs and keep your feet on the ball, pull your knees toward your chest, pause and then return to your starting position.
- That’s one repetition – keep going.
8. Upward Back Bend
Repeat: Hold for 10 seconds.
- Lie face down on the mat. Keep your palms on the floor at your shoulders and your elbows at your sides.
- Lift your chest off the floor by pushing into the floor with both hands.
- Retract your navel toward your spine to protect your lower back and arch your torso back as far as possible, tilting your head and chest upward.
- Hold for 5 breaths and release.
9. Stability Ball Pass
Repeat: 10 repetitions
- Start lying on your back with your arms extended above your head. Hold a fitness ball between your hands.
- Tighten your abs, lift your upper body and raise your legs until you are able to pass the ball from your hands to your feet.
- Squeeze both sides of the ball with your legs, then lower your legs and upper body back toward the floor.
- Pause for a moment and then come back up so you can bring the ball back toward your hands.
10. Side Plank Dips
Repeat: 60 seconds on each side
- Lie on your left side, with your left elbow on the floor and your legs stacked. Tighten your abs,
- Lift yourself up into a side plank and raise your right arm above your head.
- Lower your left hip again and then lift it back up into a side plank.
- Repeat as many times as you can in 30 seconds. Now switch sides. Painful, isn’t it?
Keep reading: 30 day butt lifting exercises challenge to round and firm your buttocks